For the past 2.5 years, this project has been maintained/improved by the same small team and each of us has been doing it from their free time, which is unfortunately becoming less and less nowadays to the point it is becoming a problem.
Therefore, we need help to keep the momentum going for the frequent updates and improvements we’ve been doing, so we’ve decided to open up volunteer recruitment. Overall, a volunteer should have any of the following:
- knowledge of the Symfony framework (especially with API Platform)
- knowledge of PostgreSQL
- knowledge of a frontend framework, bootstrap is recommended
You can find our project repository over on Gitlab https://gitlab.com/ultimateretro/ultimateretro
A short overview of the current project structure
Right now, the whole project is unified into one big umbrella, which contains everything: the database, the backend interface and the frontend interface, all under the same framework, running on the same server:
- the data is organized as relational tables under PostgreSQL
- Symfony Entities represent the relations between the tables in the database and list all their properties. Repositories contain all the SQL queries used to fetch the needed data.
- Twig is used to generate all the HTML frontend interface, accompanied by SCSS and Stimulus JS, and is used to communicate with the Entities via Controllers
The future plan is however to separate the two big parts of the project, the backend and the frontend, into their own standalone parts, communicating via a REST API. Therefore, knowledge of something like API Platform is especially appreciated, as this will help us migrate the project to the new structure.
As a volunteer, you will be able to contribute to various aspects of the project, such as:
- Developing new features and functionalities for the website
- Fixing bugs and improving performance
- Testing and debugging the website on different browsers and devices.
So, if you are interested to join us and help shape the future of the project, let us know in the TRW coding thread on our Discord server. https://discord.com/channels/713112400059957288/1100533536374653028